Becoming an ISTQB Certified Tester is the way to begin your software testing career path as a professional.
What testers should know?
There’s a lot to know. Unfortunately, most practitioners tend to carry out testing as if it were 1976, not 2020.
- Software testing is a way to assess the quality of the software and to reduce the risk of software failure in operation. Software Testing is indispensable to provide a quality product without any bug or issue.
- Testing is important because software bugs could be expensive or even dangerous.
- Software bugs can potentially cause monetary and human loss, and history is full of such examples
- A software tester is an individual that tests software for bugs, errors, defects or any problem that can affect the performance of computer software or an application.
- Software testers are part of a software development team and perform functional and non-functional testing of software using manual and automated software testing techniques.
Becoming a professional tester:
If you’re a professional tester, test manager, quality assurance staff member, or programmer responsible for testing your own code, you have already discovered that, far from being trivial and straightforward, testing is hard.
There’s a lot to know. Unfortunately, most practitioners tend to carry out testing as if it were 1976, not 2020. Common practices lag best practices by around 30 years.
ISTQB certification is about raising common practices to the level of best practices.
ISTQB certified testers know how to do these things and more because they have mastered the topics laid out in one or more of the ISTQB syllabi.
In this article, we will explain what training you need and how the ISTQB certification program works perfectly well for you.
How will you test a Chair? ( Angie Jones amazing questions)
What is the ISTQB Program & who are they?
ISTQB certification is about raising common practices to the level of best practices.
In a nutshell, any tester certification program worth your consideration should confirm, through objective, carefully designed examinations, your professional capabilities. They support your career path by providing levels of certification that correspond to your experience and roles. Also, promote and advance software testing as a profession, not merely an ancillary role on a software development team.
So far, the ISTQB program might sound like other tester certification programs you’ve heard of but have a couple unique characteristics;
- The ISTQB syllabi are developed by working groups composed of worldwide experts in the field of software testing, including practitioners, consultants, trainers, and academics.
- While the ISTQB accredits certain training courses, there is no requirement to take expensive training or to purchase pricy study guides.
Who Are These People Anyway?
The ISTQB program, like all software tester certifications, is ultimately a fiat certification. The International Software Testing Qualification Board (ISTQB) is a fast-growing, highly dynamic, and extremely democratic organization. It is a united assembly of member boards, with each board representing major software and system developing countries and regions. Currently, there are more 50 member boards
The ISTQB gets its work done through working groups. Each member board can participate in the working groups. Across the various member boards, we have over 1,000 person-years of testing experience. The American Software Testing Qualification Board (ASTQB) is the member board for the United States. Other member boards could be found on istqb.org website.
What is the Value of ISTQB Certification?
Lead the way towards a truly professional field of software testing, built on a solid foundation.
The ISTQB program is run by volunteers. For the test professional, programmer, manager, and other examinees, holding an ISTQB certificate demonstrates mastery of the best practices and key concepts in the field.
Also, by distinguishing yourself from the mass of lesser-qualified test practitioners, holding one or more ISTQB certificates can create opportunities in a competitive, outsourced, and increasingly commoditized job market. Hundreds of smart, well-managed organizations around the world have learned to value the ISTQB certifications because employing ISTQB certified testers ensures better testing, resulting in better software, reduced risk, and lower costs of poor quality, and delivers test consistency and re-usability.
Finally, the ISTQB delivers value to the software testing profession itself.
How has software programming progressed while software testing remains stuck in the 70s?
Programming, as a profession, has built on its best work. Assembly languages gave way to higher-order languages. Higher-order languages enable structured programming. Structured programming fostered object-oriented programming (OOP).
Is it that software testers love disco music and sideburns, or has something else happened—or not happened? In software testing, we still have practitioners who are unaware of the concepts of equivalence partitioning, boundary value analysis, and error guessing.
What are the level of Certification?
ISTQB certification levels are the best software testing career path in becoming a professional.
Syllabus for each level available where in ISTQB asserts that people claiming to be test professionals should have a particular amount of practical, hands-on experience as well as knowing and being able to apply particular key ideas.
What are the Exams like with sample Question?
Some Practical questions from the ISTQB Exam worth looking at.
The ISTQB Foundation and Advanced exams contain from 30 to 40 questions. You’ll have 60 minutes to complete the exam if you are taking the Foundation exam.
While 90 minutes to complete the exam if you are taking an Advanced exam. Each exam is created according to ISTQB guidelines by drawing from a pool of 150 or more carefully crafted questions. Thus, if you retake an exam, you will see different questions. The exam questions are multiple-choice.
However, they are not the relatively easy multiple-choice questions you might remember from high school. The key concepts in each syllabus are defined in terms of learning objectives. Each learning objective has an associated level of mastery associated with it: 1) precise recollection; 2) detailed understanding; or, 3) the ability to thoroughly apply the concept to a real-world problem.
Study the Sample Exam Question
- What do you think the right answer is?
- Can you explain why?
A field accepts an integer input from 1 to 99 representing the quantity of an item to be purchased. Consider the following numbers:
Which of the following statements are true?
A. II, IV, and VII are boundary values, while are I, III, V, and VI members of the invalid—too low, valid, and invalid—too high equivalence partitions
B. I, III, V, and VI are boundary values, while II, IV, and VII are members of the invalid—too low, valid, and invalid—too high equivalence partitions
C. All seven values are boundary values and members of one of the three equivalence partitions
D. Only I, III, V, and VI are members of one of the three equivalence partitions
Select the one right choice above.
How do I prepare for the Exams & Pass?
Either self-guided self-study, use of books, e-learning courses, & instructor-lead courses.
There are four main options to prepare for the exam:
- self-guided self-study:- download the syllabus & glossary from the Internet (see below) and then use those documents to guide your preparation.
- use of books:- pick up a few of these books, along with copies of the standards, and study them, again using the syllabus and glossary as resources and guides.
- e-learning courses: For example, Villanova University offers an accredited e-learning course for the Foundation exam.
- Instructor-lead courses:- Such courses are available in more than 30 countries, including all the countries covered by the ISTQB member boards plus some additional countries (Conferences or Workshops).
- No matter what mode of preparation you choose, make sure you do prepare & prepare thoroughly for at least a month with the pack of past MCQs.
- The format of the exam is multiple choice.
- There are 40 questions. To pass the exam, at least 65% of the questions (i.e., 26 questions) must be answered correctly.
So, you should now have a good idea of how the ISTQB certification program works, including the structure and goals of the board. You know the Foundation and Advanced syllabi, and where they fit into your particular career path. You’re ready to pick which ISTQB certifications are right for you and start down the path of study and preparation.
In short, you are ready to join the thousands of people around the world who are bringing the best ideas and concepts of testing to their day-to-day work, establishing software testing as a profession. I hope you take the next step and become an ISTQB certified tester, as I am proud to be.
Camer-SQA Community is here to help you. Join the Community on: facebook/ camer.sqa or linkedIn/camer-sqa or mail: email@example.com or WhatsApp: +237 654316722.
Answer to the Sample Exam Question
- The correct answer is B.
- The rule defining valid and invalid inputs creates three equivalence partitions: invalid—too low; valid; and, invalid—too high.
- Any integer zero or less is a member of the invalid—too low partition.
- Any integer from 1 to 99 is a member of the valid partition.
- Any integer 100 or greater is a member of the invalid—too high partition.
- 0 is the largest member of the invalid—too low partition and lies on the boundary with the valid partition.
- 1 and 99 are the smallest and largest members, respectively, of the valid partition, lying on the boundaries with the invalid—too low partition and the invalid—too high partition, respectively.
- 100 is the smallest member of the invalid—too high partition and lies on the boundary with the valid partition..